Sunday, April 27, 2014

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "Magic Bread Dough"

I think it's a bit ironic that my favourite, most-used recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "River Cottage Veg Everyday" cookbook is the pizza dough recipe. I do like vegetables, though, and there are some amazing recipes in this book. A friend of mine told me I HAVE TO BUY this cookbook, and he was right! The recipes range from unique to comforting and familiar, the pictures are gorgeous, the instructions are clear, and did I mention that there are over 200 recipes? So, money's worth? Yes. Here are some that I've tried:

Chachouka (my favourite veggie recipe from the cookbook so far)


Baby Carrot and Broad Bean Risotto (I used normal carrots and peas, it was still lovely)


Tomato and Mozzarella Risotto (I fried the leftovers the next day. Yum.)


Vegeree (a close second to the Chachouka)


And of course, the Magic Bread Dough. I've made at least 15 pizzas from this dough, and it turns out perfect every time. I tried out some other recipes before I found his, and the dough was never quite right: too thick, too chewy, too soft... then I tried his, and voilĂ ! It makes a very thin, very crisp crust, and there's no need to pre-bake the crust. There are other ideas for the dough as well, flatbreads, pita breads, breadsticks and even rolls (hence "magic" in the title).

As for the sauce, I use this one from Allrecipes 'cause it tastes awesome, it's ridiculously easy, and I'm all for being lazy and cutting corners when it doesn't sacrifice on taste!



I usually top my half of the pizza with cheese (and the other half with salami for Mr. Greenolive) or if I have leftovers in the fridge, that'll go on my half too. Of course, fresh mozza is the best, but any grated or torn cheese will do. By the way, does everyone else already know that you can freeze cheese? Grated works great, but I prefer to take the little bags of mozza and throw them in the freezer, along with little tupperware containers filled with sauce and leftover balls of pizza dough.  Just move everything into the fridge the night before and let it defrost. Then roll out the dough, slop on some sauce, tear the cheese and bake for 12 minutes. Done like dinner!

Magic bread dough
(makes 3 pizza crusts)


  • 500 grams white flour (type 1050 is best - any other kind won't deliver the crust I've been promising!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried yeast

  • 1 tablespoon oil (and a few drops for later for oiling the second bowl)
  • 325 ml warm water


In your first bowl, add your dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Add the wet ingredients and stir until all the flour is combined. Scrape the mess out onto a lightly floured countertop, and have at it - knead for 10 minutes, at which point the dough will become smooth. Work out any aggression on the dough, it will take it and reward you with pizza :-)

Add a little bit of oil into a clean bowl and smear it around. Place your dough in the bowl and cover with a clean towel. Put in a warm place, draft-free place. I used to put it in my oven with the light on, until I realized that turning the light on also turns the fan on. Don't make that mistake - dough doesn't like fans. Anyway, it'll need about an hour or two until it has doubled in size.

Once it's ready, preheat your oven to the hottest it will go. Pull the dough ball out of the bowl and roll it into a log, then cut into three roughly equal sized pieces. Form smooth balls out of the pieces by rolling in circles and pinching together any parts that aren't smooth.


Then roll out one dough ball. I roll in one direction, pushing hard, then lift the dough, flip and twist a quarter turn, so that I end up with a uniform shape. If the dough doesn't want to stretch enough for your liking, leave it for 10 minutes, then come back and roll some more - you will get a larger, thinner crust that way.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, put your dough on it (four hands are easiest for transport, though rolling the dough around the pin will work too) and do any final adjustments to the shape of the crust with your hands while it's in the baking sheet.


Slop sauce on (about 6 spoonfuls) and smear around with the back of a spoon or spatula.


Scatter grated or shredded cheese, add any other toppings and slide into the oven (middle rung) for about 10 - 12 minutes. Close to the end of the baking time, check to see if the top and bottom are done to your liking. If you prefer a crispier crust or slightly browned cheese, move the sheet up or down. Careful - it'll go quickly now! I like it when the crust has brown spots on the bottom (I lift and check) but prefer not to have brown spots on the cheese.


If you don't want to make all three of the crusts on one night, wrap up leftover dough balls in plastic wrap and toss in the freezer. They'll wait patiently until you need them again, though you should probably use within a few months.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment